Green Studies / Environmental Science
2020欧洲杯首页Our homegrown, comprehensive Green Studies curriculum evolves from ecology to sustainability while connecting students to our local geographic and cultural context and using a hands-on approach that allows students to ‘get their hands dirty’ and ‘get mud between their toes,’ while reinforcing the essential skills of reading, writing, maths and science.
The aims of our Green Studies curriculum are:
- To nurture respect for the natural world;
- To heighten students’ environmental awareness and promote stewardship;
- To develop deep ecological values;
- To understand and practice permaculture as the harmonious integration of land and people to provide food, shelter, energy in a sustainable way;
- To build awareness of and engagement with the many readily-accessible resources on our campus, including, but not limited to food gardens, aquatic systems, animal husbandry, and sustainable and renewable building materials, such as bamboo;
- To understand sustainability and systems as a web of relationships interacting with communities – human and non-human – in ways that enable them to live and develop according to their nature;
- To foster a love for learning about themselves, each other, and the wider world in ways that are respectful, have depth of understanding, and compassionate coexistence; and
- To instill pride, responsibility and cooperation among students as lifelong learners and future leaders in the world
At Green School, Enterprise and Entrepreneurship are not subjects—they are ways of being and doing, part of educating for a sustainable world by developing the skills, habits, and attitudes for students to own their learning and have impact on the world.
Students practice entrepreneurial skills on a regular basis – as questioners, thinkers, tryers, failers, and active learners.
2020欧洲杯首页It starts with the youngest learners, forming personal characteristics, and builds throughout middle and high school where our advanced and confident learners make an impact on the world.
2020欧洲杯首页Examples of Entrepreneurial learning range from structured three-week intensive design challenges (i.e., ) to mentoring individual students to endeavor towards a goal with agency and adaptability.
Green School’s Creative Arts Curriculum is richly influenced by our geographical location — the cultural and artistic features that abound in everyday life, celebrations and festivals in Bali. Students regularly explore several forms of creative arts, with the level of sophistication growing as students mature.
At weekly assemblies, on campus art galleries, and other community venues, students have regular opportunities to display their art and perform in a supported, safe environment. Through exhibition and performance, we foster student confidence, self-awareness, perseverance, and collaboration.
2020欧洲杯首页Whenever possible, we pursue opportunities to link strands of the Creative Arts – particularly when it comes celebrating through exhibitions and performance.
Theater is a living art that draws on all aspects of world culture as its inheritance and inspiration. The Green School Theatre Arts Program strives to nurture the art of world theatre traditions. We focus on the development of the whole person. With a firm emphasis on physical theater and the study of movement, our theater curriculum focuses on helping students understand and follow their intuition. Students learn to feel comfortable with spontaneity and use their artistic voice to examine the world they live in.
A partial list of themes includes:
- Movement & dance
- Alexander Technique
- Musical theatre
- Creating original works
- Costume & stage design
- Speech/public speaking
- Solo performance
- Theatre outreach in local community.
Green School’s Theatre Arts Program explores the artist’s relationship to the body, the observation of and identification with the natural world, and the development collaboration and the skills of communication.
Our classes are designed to inspire the creative mind, focus the analytical mind, and strengthen our students’ command of their body and voice.
The Visual Arts curriculum is designed to meet unique student needs in a natural environment using an holistic, student-centered approach. Our mission is to promote a sustainable art practice to help raise students’ awareness of the threats to ecological balance and use eco-friendly art materials. For young eco-artists, we provide a platform for asking environmental questions, raising issues and challenging assumptions, and responding from a visual perspective.
Art in the Primary Years is exploratory in nature with a focus on the creative process, allowing children to express themselves using recycled, repurposed, and natural materials. Examples of projects include leaf mandalas, clay sculptures, and mud painting.
In Middle School, students complete artworks using various mediums, including bamboo sculpture, t-shirt printing, graffiti art, and set and prop design.
- In High School, short courses allow students options in Environmental, Community, or Enterprise Sustainability. They combine creative practice with social and ecological issues facing the world today. Project examples include:
Community Sustainability: shadow theatre, bamboo carving, batik, traditional kite making
- Enterprise Sustainability: printmaking – starting small businesses; product making – up-cycling
- Environmental Sustainability: eco art, sustainable and recyclable materials, narrative and collage, pigments and paint
- Open Art Studio: ceramics, film-making, animation, photography, painting, sculpture
The Green School music program aims to immerse students in a wide range of musical genres and experiences whilst developing a strong sense of creativity, collaboration and musicianship.
In Primary, the music program is centred on the:
- Development of musicianship and collaborative music making through tuned and un-tuned percussion including Gamelan, Marimba, Jegog, Bambajam, Angklung and many more.
- Development of multi-instrumentalism and aural ability through a range of ensembles from pop-rock to choir.
- Development of musical literacy though the learning of musical elements and musical theory.
- Fostering a strong sense of personal creativity and expression.
2020欧洲杯首页The Middle and High School music programs aim to empower students to be creative, knowledgeable and adaptable musicians in any context. Our unique 6 week program allows students to choose to study music through a range of classes that cater to both beginner and experienced musicians including:
- High School Ensemble
- Music Technology
- Musical Theory
- and many more..